IMG-LOGO
Health

FG Orders Striking Doctors Back To Work

08/09/2020 162 Views

The Federal Government, Monday evening, ordered members of National Association of Resident Doctors, NARD, to return to their duty posts immediately, summoning a meeting with the leadership of NARD for tomorrow, Wednesday, in Abuja.

Speaking ​through the Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, in a statement by the Deputy/Head of Press of the ministr, Charles Akpan, the government explained that six of the eight demands listed by the association had been met.

He said even with the lean resources available due to the COVID-19 effects on oil output and price, resulting in low revenue, the Federal Government had addressed majority of their demands, including Special Hazard and Inducement Allowances, and Group Life Insurance.

The labour minister reminded the resident doctors that “by the labour laws and the International Labour Organisation, ILO, conventions when issues are being conciliated, all parties are enjoined not to employ arm-twisting methods to intimidate or foist state of helplessness on the other party, in this case, their employers, the Federal Ministry of Health.

“There is a pending case in the National Industrial Court of Nigeria, NICN, instituted by two civil society groups against NARD, the Minister of Health, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice and Honourable Minister of Labour and Employment.”

Consequently, Ngige advised the resident doctors to respect the country’s laws and withdraw the ultimatum issued to their members to down tools with effect from 8 a.m., Monday, September 7.

The life insurance, according to the statement, “is not only for health professionals and workers but prepared also for all federal civil servants and public servants in federal organisations that are treasury funded.”

The minister said the Federal Government also appropriated N4 billion from the Special Intervention COVID-19 N500 billion 2020 Appropriation, for funding of Medical Residency Training and with intent to do same in the ongoing 2021 budget to be submitted to NASS for consideration.

He added that the N4 billion has been processed for payment.

“Other issues like the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital right between NARD and the authorities were addressed, while old issues not related to the COVID-19 period and issues of state governments not addressing the Consequential Minimum Wage Adjustments, and low patronage of Residency programme are work in progress,” he added.

Already, patients seeking healthcare services in different public-owned hospitals in Lagos were left stranded, as NARD members made good their threat to embark on a nationwide indefinite strike from Monday.

Recall that the doctors had, Friday, threatened to an indefinite strike over alleged government failure to meet their demands after the expiration of a 21-day ultimatum.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Recent Comments