Kafanchan In Total Blackout After Violent Protest Against Tariff Hike

22/01/2021 63 Views

The Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company (KADECO) has shut its Kafanchan business unit indefinitely following the protest by residents of the Southern Kaduna community against increase in electricity tariff and poor power supply in the area, which turned violent.

Head of Corporate Communication of the company, Alhaji Abdulazeez Abdullahi, who reacted to the unfortunate incident, Friday, disclosed in an interview that members of staff of the company in the troubled area were no longer safe to operate in Kafanchan, Southern Kaduna’s main town.

An eyewitness told journalists that the protest was initially peaceful but turned violent after the police allegedly shot dead one of the protesters.

Abdullahi alleged that three people lost their lives during the protest. He maintained that “judging from how the protesters stormed, vandalised the offices and burnt down the cars” members of staff of the company were no longer safe to operate in Kafanchan.

“The total blackout in Kafanchan would continue as a result of the protest. Our staff are no longer safe to operate for now until normalcy returns but surrounding communities will continue to enjoy supply,” he said.

He stated that the management of the company learnt that the protesters stormed the Kafanchan business unit chanting that they wanted to get the Area Manager’s head, adding, “with this kind of situation we cannot operate. Look at how those cars, motorcycles were burnt. If the Area Manager or any of the staff was found in the office, he would have been killed.”

Abdullahi said the company had been in constant touch with the community in its bid to resolve the issues before the violent protest. He described the incident as unfortunate, saying it turned violent and led to loss of lives as a result of bad people who infiltrated what ought to have been a peaceful protest.

He expressed hope that police investigations would reveal those behind the act. The Kaduna Police Command spokesman, Muhammad Jalige, could not respond when contacted for his reaction via telephone.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Comments